Monday, August 09, 2010

::Nothing Left::

"Sometimes it seems like all I ever do is ask for things until I ask too much of You, but that's not the way I want to live. I need to change, but something's got to give. Yeah something's got to give, give, give until there's nothing left. Give my all until it all runs out. Give, give, and I'll have no regrets. I'll give until there's nothing left to give." ::Relient K::

It's the end of the first official day of AIM, and it was a wonderful day. We have orientation today and tomorrow, but I've had a lot of questions answered. I came to AIM for guidance and expecting a challenge. And a challenge it will be.

I knew AIM would be hard, but now I am beginning to understand the sacrifice involved. It's not just moving to Texas, living in a small apartment with loaned furniture, taking more classes, spending 8 months with 46 complete strangers (although they aren't strangers anymore), or even giving up two years of my life to mission work. That's all part of it, but the thing about sacrifice is that in order for it to be true sacrifice, it must be all or nothing.

AIM has a lot of rules; some of them are fine, some are frustrating, but some are demanding. These lyrics are from the song "Give Until There's Nothing Left" by Relient K. It's been in my head all day, because it is absolutely perfect to my life and faith right now. I am on the brink of something big, but it requires sacrifice. I must give until there's nothing left of me. It has to be all about God.

My faith is strong and built on a solid foundation, but I have never challenged it to this extreme. I am excited about my new adventures, even though I wouldn't necessarily have chosen parts of it. It requires all or nothing.

I don't want complacency. I don't want to be content where I am. Instead I want a challenge. I want change. I want to give and give and give all until there is nothing left; nothing left of me to get in the way of God being glorified.

Something's got to give.

-ej

1 comment:

  1. Wise words. Our lives must be all about God. I'm reminded of a quote I once heard from Dr. Rainbow - "You have a choice: Fear God or Fear Everything Else." From these words and the person you are today, I believe you made the right one.

    ReplyDelete