Thursday, August 19, 2010

::Doctor Knows Best::

"But when ill indeed, Even dismissing the doctor don't always succeed."
::Victor Hugo::

I've been sick for 9 days out of 13 days that I have been in Lubbock. It started as allergies, but quickly turned into a beast. I tried to wait it out, taking Tylenol cold, Advil cold and sinus, and Robitussin but nothing really worked. My voice was completely gone for a day, but it only returned sounding deep and stuffy. I'm afraid that some of the AIMers may think this is what I really sound like all the time, but it is most definitely NOT.

I finally gave in and went to the doctor on Tuesday to find out that I had a sinus infection that had progressed really badly and who knows what else. The doctor could hear me wheezing as I breathed "normally", and I was running nearly a 100 degree fever. I got a steroid shot, some serious antibiotics, and a super cough syrup with cough suppressant, antihistamine, and decongestant all in one. I was also told it would continue to get worse before it would get better.

Over 48 hours since I started antibiotics, I am finally starting to feel them begin to work. I can breathe so much easier, and the coughing fits are less often. I couldn't be happier. Being sick is no fun, especially when I'm falling behind in a few classes. I haven't missed anything, but I'm exhausted. Hopefully in a day or two, I won't feel like my head is going to explode and will be able sleep an entire night of sleep. I also learned a few things: I am officially allergic to Lubbock; I should go to the doctor at the first sign of such illness; and insurance is a marvelous thing.

Please keep me in your prayers, as well as some of the other AIMers who have also fallen ill already. It's rough to be sick your first and second weeks of school.

-ej

1 comment:

  1. I always hated being sick during school too. Things can quickly become a perfect storm during illnesses. May you have good health in the upcoming new year!

    ReplyDelete