Saturday, September 18, 2010

::Ciao!::

"Europeans, like some Americans, drive on the right side of the road, except in England, where they drive on both sides of the road; Italy, where they drive on the sidewalk; and France, where if necessary they will follow you right into the hotel lobby." ::Dave Barry::

Prato, Italy
We had our first mission field presentation last Thursday! It was for Prato, Italy. A field presentation is given by the missionaries in that place and details the work and life there. We will have a presentation from each location where AIM teams can be sent next spring. Missionaries typically come to present or send someone in their stead; if that is not possibly, we use skype (video phone calls)! They begin now and run through the end of October. November will be when we will form teams, and they will be finalized in December.

For Prato, Italy, we watched a youtube video the AIMers in Prato right now put together and then skyped the missionaries (and AIMers). Prato is a really neat place, and I definitely could picture myself there. However, I think I could say that about everywhere in the world! Prato is the second most culturally diverse city in Europe and close to the size of Lubbock. Italy is a difficult place to do mission work, because the people are not as receptive to Christianity. It is evangelism based on relationships. The church is very united throughout Italy, although small. The missionaries are wonderful, and very welcoming.

It is really exciting to begin hearing about places I could be in less than a year! I do have a number of fields at the top of my list, but I've kept my mind fairly open to most of the fields. There are a couple reasons for this: I don't want to be disappointed if I don't get my "first choice", I want to decide based on the mission work and missionaries there, and the team choice comes before field. If I wind up in a country I love but with people I don't work well with, I won't be able to be as effective in the mission work. It involves lots of prayer :). God already knows where I'll be in a year, and that's enough for me.

If you would also continue to pray for me and all of the AIMers as we continue to grow in faith through God's grace and in friendship with one another.

-ej

1 comment:

  1. Prato, Italy looks neat. Technically, I already know where you're heading for your mission, but it's interesting to see your thoughts beforehand. You'll still be in my prayers as you continue to prepare.

    ReplyDelete