Monday, August 01, 2011

::Bethany's Sister::

"Both within the family and without, our sisters hold up our mirrors: our images of who we are and of who we can dare to be." ::Elizabeth Fishel::



Growing up, I hated it when people said me and my sister looked alike. I was the older sister. She was the little sister. Could people not see how different we are? Now, I love being known as Bethany's sister. I want people to say we are alike, because she is the most beautiful person I know. We are 2 and a half years apart in age, just enough to be really close but also fight a lot as kids. We became very close when I left for college as we still talked often. Then my sister came to Harding as a freshman when I was a senior, and I know I wouldn't have made it through that year without her. I loved being asked if I was Bethany's sister, as I proudly answered, "Yes, I am!"

I knew when I decided to do mission work, that the hardest person to leave would be my sister. She is still the person I miss the most. Every day. Every moment. But I also knew that of everyone I had to leave, she was the one I could count on to always be there. I trust her more than anyone else on this planet. And I knew that she would be the one who knew all of my dreams and would never let me NOT move to Ukraine. Those last days before I left when I started doubting what I was doing, even as I stood in LAX crying, she is the one who made sure I got on my plane.

My sister is one of the biggest reasons I am here in Ukraine right now. I would not be who I am today without her. She is stronger than me. She has an unshakable faith. Her faith could move mountains. Her character has been tried and tested as true. She loves sacrificially and unconditionally and shows that in her actions. I have been challenged time and time again just because of who she is in Christ.

Tomorrow my sister Bethany leaves for Ghana, West Africa. She is going on a two-week mission trip with World Bible School, led by our Uncle Joel and Aunt Pat Coppinger. It's her first time to leave the U.S. It is an incredible opportunity for her to use the many talents God has given her and let God's power work through her in a new place. I know what a blessing she will be to the people of Ghana, because I know what a blessing she has been to me.

I also know there may be hard times. Any foreign culture is difficult, but I know that she has a willing heart and open hands to serve. She will be challenged, and I believe she will rise to them with even greater grace. As long as her trust remains in God, she will do incredible things through Him. She has already changed me for good.

April 2011
My sister is my best friend.
my strength. my fellow dreamer. 
my encourager. my sister in Christ. 
my honey. my accomplice. 
my love. my confidante. 
my co-conspirator. my dear.
my safety net. my other half.
my support. my mentor. 
my heart. my person. 
my little sister.
my Bessie.

She is amazing. wonderful. incredible. fabulous. gorgeous.  smart. a great listener. the funniest person i know. wise.
beautiful inside and out. i love her with all my heart.

Please pray for my sister, as well as my aunt and uncle and the rest of their team as they travel to Ghana and minister there for 2 weeks. Pray that doors are opened for the Gospel to be heard and taken to heart, and that the team remains safe and healthy. And please pray for my parents as their two daughters will be away from them on two different continents.

I hope that if you have not yet met my sister, that you will one day. I am blessed beyond measure to know my amazing sister, and this is a feeble attempt to say just how proud I am to be
Bethany's sister.
-ej (aka Ery)

Summer 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment