Tuesday, April 19, 2011

::A Dragon Named Okmulgee::

"We live, in fact, in a world starved for solitude, silence, and private: and therefore starved for meditation and true friendship." ::C.S. Lewis::

There once was a dragon named Okmulgee, who was allergic to ducks. One day he crashed into a duck pond and soon fell in love with a duck. He heard of a wizard who may have the cure and gathered his friends (including a unicorn, griffin and giant) to begin a quest which would lead them on a journey far from home...and so begins an epic road trip story four of us created together as we traveled around Texas and Oklahoma. It may sound a little ridiculous to you reading this, but inventing this story is one of my absolute favorite memories of my time in AIM.

One of my teammates decided that it must be a metaphor, and while I think that is a bit of a stretch, there are certain elements that ring true for me. For one, I am about to begin on my own journey, an adventure of a different kind. I'm taking some friends with me, but I have to leave others behind to wait for me as they are on different journeys. The four of us who created the story of Okmulgee never got the chance to finish it. We are still right in the middle of the story, and none of us know what will happen to Okmulgee or how it will end. And I think maybe that's how it should be. At least for now. Much more like real life.

And so in March to the beginning of April, we spent three weeks traveling around Texas and Oklahoma before splitting off into our AIM challenge weeks. It was our last trip as a class and wound up being my favorite trip of them all because of the friendships that were deepened. We handed out flyers in Arlington, sat in on challenging lessons at the Tulsa workshop and gave our last flag presentation in Yukon, Oklahoma. We also helped to begin an extreme home makeover project in Childress, Texas which is worth its own blog post!

My team worked with the Greenville Oaks congregation in Allen, Texas for a week which was encouraging and challenging. After we returned to Lubbock, our last week was filled with goodbyes and fun memories. I have been blessed with so many wonderful friends. God gives us people in our lives to challenge us and help us to grow closer to Him, and I am so grateful.

Here are a few pictures from the last month:

SINKING BOAT ON A LAKE IN CHILDRESS
OUR "TEAM UKRAINE" CHALK SQUARE AT THE OKLAHOMA CITY BOMBING MEMORIAL
A NON-DRIVE-THRU SONIC IN OKC
OUR ASSISTANT JANE AS ME IN A SKIT OF OUR TEAM
Exactly one week ago was the official end to our time in Lubbock for training and classes. It's been an incredible journey since August. Part of me wishes I could stay longer in Lubbock, but I know it's time to get ready for my next adventure! Which brings me now to Searcy, home of my alma mater. I'm here to visit and say goodbye to more friends who I'm not sure when I'll see again. It could be a sad time, but in true Okmulgee fashion, I'm going to keep looking ahead toward my own quest. I am so thankful for friendships that last distance and time. Goodbyes are simply a part of the journey, but when God is leading your way, the adventure is always worth it.

ME WITH FRIENDS AT HARDING, ONE WEEK AGO
Living each day for Him,
-ej

1 comment:

  1. I know I'm so very late, but I ADORE that picture of us!!! Could you maybe send it to me?

    Great story by the way. I think we're all waiting anxiously to see how it ends in our own lives....

    Love you! Hope we can finally skype sometime soon! :)

    ReplyDelete